Friday, August 30, 2013

Five days in Ukraine



Five days in Kiev were very much recreative for me. Daria who was my host for all this time, has found a very special place in my heart. She was a great companion to spend dark evenings in Kiev with a cup of hot tea, while talking about so many diverse things like life in Ukraine and Lithuania, ministry, churches,birds and so on. Daria is involved in her church, orphanage ministry and is currently working with human traffic organization as a translator, thus there is no surprise why she knows so much about human psychology, which we both enjoy talking about. Her openness, simplicity and love for Jesus are very inspiring.
Daria had to deal with my corn-mania
I feel very thankful for Tanya who came all the way from Rivne and Nastya who came from Kirivograd to Kiev so they could see me. Same like Daria,  both they are LCC graduates, and also my former roommates at LCC! Not only we wandered in Kiev but also visited Daria`s church, House of Gospel, where pastor was inviting to take a minute and think how specifically God is using us. 

with my beloved Ukrainians!
My main goal of this trip to Kiev was to have training on mentoring by One Hope organization, which turned out to be such a professional training! Members of this organization were not only very patient with my very sluggish Russian, but also made sure I understood everything.  I had a chance not only to talk with director and coordinator of organization, but also with my dear profession-fellow psychologist. For me it is a huge joy, because every time I meet Christian psychologist it gives me hope that one day it will not be stigmatized profession as it is right now among some believers. I was also very touched by fact that this organization that worked so hard all those four years gathering and preparing information, just gave it all away with free will and desire to help. The main task of this organization is preparing people to become mentors specifically to work with kids from orphanages. Mentor, in this case, is an older and more experienced person who is willing to make a friendly relationship with a child/teenager and through regular meetings help child to find ones potential, adopt better ways of conflict solving, encourage psychological growth and so on.  

with Tanya from One Hope


 
ok, so this is the most deepest underground I have ever been so far. I am not sure if this the same one, but on internet it says Arsenalna station is 105 meters underground!!! Soviet legacy.
Daria`s church

metro tokens

Dnieper river

village style orphanage in Ukraine. They grow  fruit and raise pigs. This place is surrounded by forests and fields.

so much to learn from these passionate, Christ loving missionaries



few  Christian organizations are having their monthly meeting that starts with worship, prayer, then speech and introduction to new projects follow. These Christians don't stand still, they act!
 

1 comment:

  1. Great post Ieva! Looks like you had a very fun, interesting and informative time in Ukraine. It is wonderful that you were able to be with friends there and to learn from experienced people. I'm really looking forward to reading this blog!

    Ps. I'm not surprised at all that you talked about birds with Daria :)

    ReplyDelete